Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strangeness

Strangeness... explain this to me if you can.  The grid on a curtain wall is of the 'wall' category, but the actual wall (mullions, panels, etc) are part of the curtainwall categories.


 While creating a curtain wall sheet, I had the wall category turned off so I wouldn't see adjacent walls and could be a little less picky with my crop regions, but couldn't dimension to the centerline of the mullion without actually selecting a portion of the mullion to dimension to, which made it hard if the vertical mullion was continuous through a wall instead of the perimeter mullions being continuous (since perimeter mullions are segmented between curtain grids even if they are continuous).

To solve my problem I experimented with turning the wall category back on and could suddenly dimension to the curtain grid.

Why not make the curtain grid part of the curtain wall category?  I know it's still a 'wall', but the rest of the pieces have their own category.  Aren't mullions attached to curtain grids?  Aren't panels defined by the curtain grids?  Why are elements of one category defined by elements on another?